Friday, September 21, 2007

The Little Ones at the Detroit Bar







I incriminated myself last time I made the double concert night of Autolux in San Diego and Eskimohunter at the Detroit Bar. So I won't give out time lines and distance traveled when I caught all of The Little Ones set after watching the Smashing Pumpkins destroy at the Open Air Theatre.

The Detroit Bar was hopping again with a splendid double bill of The Deadly Syndrome and The Little Ones as part of the Busy Work night on Wednesday. I unfortunately missed The Deadly Syndrome but caught the full shaking set of The Little Ones.

The Little Ones had invaded Orange County before at The OCMA. I was an instant fan after that performance. When I saw them at the Troubadour, my review was linked by Spinner.com.

Opening their set with the uptempo shimmy shake beat of "Cha Cha Cha" the crowd started to warm up. Ed Reyes (Guitar/Vocals) was playing a sparkling Gretsch guitar and had forsaken his old pedal board for a lonely Analog delay pedal. They played a new song that had a flurry of Oh's and Ah's and the steady beat of the tambourine in the background. The hypnotic guitar line and electric piano flourishes of "Oh! MJ!" inspired some early crowd participation with hand claps from the audience. "Face The Facts" was even more uptempo then the recorded version. Another new song "Unlock The Door" had a calypso/ tropical feel to it that had me tapping my foot in time. The Little Ones took crowd participation to The Hold Steady level by bringing up various people onstage for added percussion on "There's A Pot Brewin'". The Little Ones will embark on an East coast tour with Voxtrot before heading across the pond to tour with Kaiser Chiefs and We Are Scientists. I look forward to their full length release.


The Little Ones Pedalboards

No comments: