Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Peter, Bjorn & John at the Henry Fonda Theatre




Peter, Bjorn & John were one of the other top acts at the KROQ Weenie Roast this year playing a vibrant mid day set with a guest spot from Victoria Bergsman from the Concretes. I was displeased with the KROQ crowd for chanting for "play the whistle song". I know most of my readers know, but to clarify for those non readers "Whistle Song" is "Young Folks". The song has been ubiquitous yet performed live, it magically makes you smile.

If I didn't take the picture of the marquee before the show, I would have thought Foreign Born was onstage as I spotted Matt Popieluch(Vocalist of Foreign Born) on stage as a member of the band for Cass Mccombs. Cass Mccombs is a singer songwriter on the 4AD label who performs wistful sun drenched pop songs. I particularily enjoyed the Fender Jaguar breezy guitar lines that carried his tunes. Cass Mccombs is currently working on a new album.





The droney sitar instrumental version of "Young Folks" filled the Henry Fonda theatre and the buzz started to build as Peter, Bjorn & John came onstage to a rapturous appaluse. They kicked off their set with "Let's Call It Off" from their third album "Writer's Block". Peter was dancing along and strumming his Burns Guitar as he flawlessly strummed along. After the first song, I noticed the band was in top playing shape and exuded a greater confidence since the last time I saw them. Bjorn seemed more confident as well when he stepped up to the mic to sing a stunning version of "Amsterdam". "Paris 2004" was fantastic with the opening samples replicated live on a electronic drum stand. "Teen Love" is one of my favorite tunes from their second album "Falling Out" and was performed with a punk like urgency. Bjorn was playing a nice Hagstrom Bass that had an excellent bite giving the songs an extra edge. The overall sound mix was one of the best that I have heard at the Henry Fonda Theatre. Boom Bip manned the bongos and Gena Olivera from Midnight Movies came out to do a wonderfully received version of "Young Folks". The night was capped with my all time favorite (so far) Peter, Bjorn & John song "Up Against The Wall" which was a seven minute epic barnburner that had Peter rubbing his guitar against the mic stand to add some feedback to the ending of the song. At the end of the show, I was relieved that I had a ticket for the next night in San Diego.










Peter, Bjorn & John Setlist for the Henry Fonda Theatre (7/31/07)

"Let's Call It Off"
"See-Through"
"The Chills"
"Start To Melt"
"Big Black Coffin"
"Amsterdam"
"Paris 2004"
"Young Folks" with Gena from Midnight Movies and Boom Bip on bongos
"Teen Love"
"Objects Of My Affection"
"Roll The Credits"
"Up Against The Wall"

No comments: