Sunday, October 15, 2006

Hold Steady and Sean Na Na at the Detroit Bar






After hanging out with 90,000 people watching USC win, I went home to pick up the camera and head out to the Detroit Bar. For the bargain of $10.00, I got to experience the phenomenon of The Hold Steady. Sean Na Na was up first. Sean "the artist formerly known as Har Mar Superstar" put on a good show with solid songs and lots of "hooks" as he put it. Do you remember when Har Mar opened for Incubus back in the day?? I think he played the forum or something. Anyways, Sean got points for rocking his Costa Mesa shirt. I had to move shortly from my front of the stage position to make way for the case of Budweiser for the Hold Steady. At this point I figured I was going to be in for a hell of a show. I was already envious of Tad's Pedal board, but then he busted out the double neck gibson ala Jimmy Page. Craig had the Budweiser flowing all night which seemed to increase the intensity of his performance. The crowd was going crazy but I couldn't help but think that the band was having even more fun then the crowd was. Just when I thought the night couldn't get better, on the last song of the 16 strong set... Craig and Tad started picking people to come up onstage. Tad asked me, "You Play?" and I said "Yeah!" and he handed me his awesome Gibson Les Paul and said "PLAY G". I frantically starting strumming "G" in time with the rest of the band playing "Killing Parties" and then he said "C" and then "D". I can't tell you what a rush that was. I have been to hundreds of shows and I will NEVER forget this. When they make it huge, I will be like... "Yeah, I rocked it on stage with them".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics. Wish I was there with ya.