Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Morrissey at Bayside Concert Series in San Diego

No camera as per ticket.
Borrowed this shot from the Las Vegas show. Check out the Vegas show review for a ton of Morrissey pictures.



The Bayside concert series brings back good memories from last year of two mind blowing performances by the immortal Radiohead. The venue itself is a nice grassy field that is nestled to coast. San Diego has some great venues and this happens to be one of them. I figured this would be a perfect venue for the start of my week of Morrissey.

I had to double time it down to San Diego after work so I missed all of Kristeen Young's set. I was not worried as I would have the chance to see her four more times.

"Noise is the Best Revenge" was Morrissey's opening words as he gracefully walked onto the stage clad in a black suit and a pink tie. It also happens to be the name of the Morrissey B-side off of "Redondo Beach". It turns out that Morrissey was prophetic as the noise would be his worst enemy throughout the set. The feedback noise intro however was exceptional as Moz opened "The Queen Is Dead". Morrissey traversing the stage back and forth as he sang "First of The Gang To Die" along with his patented microphone cord whips. Morrissey then proceeded to welcome the crowd to all this, "Clash and Clatter". During "In the Future When All's Well", Morrissey reached out to shake the hands of the front row of fans as he sang the line "I Thank You". Morrissey is also know for improvising song lyrics on the fly as he altered "Disappointed" to say that "friends would rather die then sleep with you". "Girlfriend in a Coma" was spectacular with its galloping bassline and shimmery guitars. I started to notice during the performance that Morrissey was having problems with his monitor system and could not hear himself sing therefore altering his timing. As the set progressed, Morrissey started to leave out verses of some of the songs. I think the audience would agree thought that Morrissey sounded fantastic but Morrissey couldn't hear himself. Halfway through the set, Morrissey said "The goat like noise is my singing voice". "That's How People Grow Up" featured some accordion work by Mikey Farrell and sounds similar to "Don't Make Fun of Daddy's Voice". The stage invaders started during "I've Changed My Plea To Gulity" which garned the remarks of "the most exciting thing all night" from Morrissey. I noticed that Morrissey lean over and talk to some of the bandmates as Boz Boorer(Guitars) changed his guitar to a Gibson firebird. Jessie Tobias (Guitars) started to strum the dreamy tremolo laden intro to "How Soon is Now?". When "That's Life" started blaring over the speaker system, I knew it was time to go. Morrissey had left the building.


Morrissey setlist for Bayside Concerts in San Diego (6/3/07)
(Max Capacity 10,000)

"The Queen Is Dead"
"The First of the Gang to Die"
"You Have Killed Me"
"In the Future When All's Well"
"Disappointed"
"Ganglord"
"Girlfriend in a Coma"
"Let Me Kiss You"
"National Front Disco"
"That's How People Grow Up"
"Panic"
"Irish Blood, English Heart"
"The Boy with the Thorn in His Side"
"Everyday Is Like Sunday"
"I Just Want to See the Boy Happy"
"I Will See You in Far Off Places"
"I've Changed My Plea to Guilty"
"How Soon Is Now?"

1 comment:

Tania said...

i agree. he sounded great, but the sound was horrible. I wasn't happy with that.