Monday, June 11, 2007

The Delta Spirit and The Sparrow Love Crew at the Detroit Bar



The Detroit Bar is a great place to see a show. The club frequently brings out some amazing bands (Asobi Sesku, Album Leaf, Rogue Wave, The Hold Steady and Cold War Kids) and has an ultra relaxed vibe. I was excited when they announced that The Delta Spirit and The Sparrow Love Crew would grace their stage.


Deep Sea Diver opened the evening with their dreamy alternative indie rock vibe. Jessica Dobson(Vocals/Guitars) has a very soulful voice that pulls in the listener. They hail from the Long Beach and are signed to Atlantic records. I was impressed by the use of delay and reverb that colored the songs. I missed their residency at the Detroit Bar and now I regret it.



 
The Sparrow Love Crew stormed the stage and brought down the house. I have seen the Sparrow Love Crew three times now and have witnessed the progression and growth of the band as a live act. I am not a huge hip-hop fan in general, but these guys have lots of talent. If they can win over a non hip-hop fan like myself, it will only be a matter of time before they crush the mainstream. DJ Opi Styles was working the turntables and using his home built theremin on his Stanton Turntable. They debuted some new songs "Hear This" and "MonstaBoogie" which had some excellent programming that had the crowd cheering for more. I see a bright future for these guys. They will have a seven song EP coming out soon.





The Delta Spirit have also improved their live show by leaps and bounds since I last saw them in January of 2007 when they played with The Colour(R.I.P.) at the same Detroit Bar. After some extensive touring with the Cold War Kids, the boys rocked a confident set that has them poised for a breakout. They performed "Trash Can" with a sense of urgency as the drummer used his fist as a drumstick on his Hi-Hat throughout the song. "People, Turn Around!" was an epic closer as Matt Maust and Jonnie Russell from the Cold War Kids jumped on stage to help out the band. You can download their EP "I Think I've Found It" from itunes. I highly recommend it.
 

3 comments:

catdirt said...

im intrigued by this "detroit bar" of which you speak.

Anonymous said...

I saw these guys a year back...they've really ripped a lot of Cold War Kids' stage moves since then.

Anonymous said...

I saw Sparrow Love Crew open for Cold War Kids in San Francisco at the Great American Music Hall earlier this year. All I can say is that I can't wait for their EP to drop... Probably the most fun I have ever had at a Hip Hop show.