Sunday, February 11, 2007

Stellastarr*, Monsters Are Waiting, Minipop at the Troubadour









The Troubadour was a packed house for the sold out lineup of Minipop, Monsters Are Waiting, and Stellastarr*. Minipop started the evening's festivities and caught my attention early. Minipop hails from San Francisco and plays a blend of Coldplay and Cranberries style indie dream pop. Tricia Kanne's vocals weren't loud enough but the tight pop structure of their songs did manage to cut thru. One of the guitarist's had a Line 6 Delay Modulation pedal that was used quite judiciously throughout the set that reminded me of some U2 guitar lines. The guitarist also handed his guitar to a young audience member to add some textural feedback to close out their set. In retrospect, I should have picked up their EP. Highlights included "Fingerprints" and "Like I Do". Check them out when they play with Midlake at the Troubadour in March. Monsters Are Waiting came up next and played a convincing set. I haven't seen them in a couple of months and was impressed by how much their live show has been honed to a nice tight set. They also did a cover of "I Wanna be Adored" by the immortal Stone Roses. Annalee (Vocals) also introduced a new song that has me anxiously awaiting their next album. Stellastarr* came out and had the crowd enraptured early on. I am glad I went both nights as on this particular night the band came out with more ferciousness. The new songs "Warchild", "Coming Down", "The People" and "Keyboard" sounded excellent and come across as a nice blend of styles from both of their albums. You can check out "Warchild" on their myspace page. If I had a record company, I would sign them up now.

No comments: