Saturday, February 02, 2008

Radar Bros at the Echo

The Radar Bros closed out their Monday night residency in grand style at the Echo with a super stacked line up of Everest, Brian Aubert and Adeline. The Radar Bros were celebrating the release of their latest album "Auditorium".

Everest

Russ Pollard and Jim Fairchild from All Smiles




Everest impressed me when I reviewed their show at Spaceland when they opened for the Parson Red Heads. The Echo was decidedly more occupied when Everest took to the stage. Everest upped the ante and turned in a markedly tighter set. "Into Your Soft Heart" had a sharp edge with Jason Soda (Guitars/Keys) adding Rhodes keyboards to the syncopated guitar riffs of Joel Graves (Guitars) and Russ Pollard (Vocals/Guitars). I was on Jason's side during the Spaceland show and was impressed by his guitar work. I opted for Joel's side during this show and was equally impressed. Joel also had a massive pedal board that he effectively used for some different overdrives and textures. The highlight of their stellar set was Jim Fairchild of All Smiles took a guest turn armed with an acoustic guitar. Jim doesn't need any introduction due to his contributions to Grandaddy. I remember going to two nights in a row at the Wiltern to see Pete Yorn, Grandaddy and Year of the Rabbit in 2003 and having my mind blown. Everest will be playing at Boardner's on Feb 19th which I recommend you attend before they start playing larger venues. Everest may be a Spaceland residency away from bigger things.

Brian Aubert from the Silversun Pickups






"Carnavas" was my favorite album of 2006. When I caught wind that Brian Aubert would be doing an acoustic set, I thought it would be based on some solo material. It turns out it was a fierce rendition of the well known Silversun Pickups tunes. I originally caught an acoustic set from Brian back in December of 2006 at Fingerprints records that I reviewed here. I can honestly say that his Echo performance was astounding. "Well Thought Out Twinkles" was the first song that Brian tackled as he managed to make the song sound full without the waves of fuzz that normally accompanies the tune. "Rusted Wheel" was next on the docket and was performed flawlessly. Nikki Monninger (Bass/Vocals) soon appeared to lend her vocal talents on "Kissing Families". Irony was in the air as they covered "Creation Lake" from The Movies as some of the band members from The Movies looked on. "Big Time Sensuality" translated very well into an acoustic based song as Brian played very softly during some parts of the song. "Common Reactor" is easily my favorite song from "Carnavas" and was outstanding as Brian explained they were going for a John Hughes film vibe that I think they managed to capture with lyrics of "a colorless picture in a heart shaped frame". Jim Putnam from the Radar Bros would help Brian cap his set with a duet of "You And The Father". Did I mention this show was free? I felt I needed to pay someone at this point.

Brian Aubert from the Silversun Pickups setlist at the Echo (1/28/08)
"Well Thought Out Twinkles"
"Rusted Wheel"
"Kissing Families"
"Creation Lake"
"Future Foe Scenarios"
"Big Time Sensuality" (Bjork Cover)
"Lazy Eye"
"Common Reactor"
"Shadowplay" (Joy Division Cover)
"You And The Father" (Radar Bros)

Radar Bros






Radar Bros have a rich history with Jim Putnam (Guitars/Vocals) being a founding member of Medicine. "Auditorium" continues their enrich the sonic territory that they have covered with songs like "Hearts Of Crows". Radar Bros don't wallop you over the head with sound but instead take the softer is louder approach of rocking you softly. It was easy to close your eyes and let the music take control as you gently swayed or taped your foot in time with the music. Radar Bros would fit nicely along side of your Grandaddy albums. "Papillon" was a crowd favorite as Jim gently strummed through the song. I have been to a lot of shows at the Echo and can state that I have never witnessed a two song encore during a residency on a Monday. The Radar Bros will be playing the Orange County Museum of Art on February 21st in which I plan on doing a double show review when I bolt down to the Detroit Bar to catch The Album Leaf for a night cap.

Adeline





Adeline came on stage sometime after 1:00 a.m. and it seemed like the Echo consisted of local band members and myself at this point. Adeline is another local super group consisting of members from The Movies, Le Switch, and the Radar Bros. When do these people get the time to practice and write? I forgot that they are extremely talented and manage to find time. Adeline (Vocals/Guitar) immediately reminded me of Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star as she started singing "Where The Bees Don't Bite". Jim Putnam (Bass) and Aaron Kyle (Guitars) provided the all star rhythm section as Brian Cleary (Keyboards) added the atmosphere via his Kurzweil keyboard with drum shuffling courtesy of Stevie Treichel (Drums). Adeline could easily make it on the Everest fast track if they keep playing around town. I only wish more people could have witnessed the magic on stage.

No comments: