Friday, November 03, 2006

The Sounds and Ima Robot at the Galaxy with Special DJ Guests







Sometimes trolling the ticketmaster website pays off. Anyone remember back in the day where you could see the whole list of ticketmaster events without checking each venue. Well I stumbled upon The Sounds at the Galaxy and could not pass it up. I had never seen them but heard they put on an amazing show. The Galaxy is an interesting venue. I got to the show early to get parking because they charge you $10 if you show up late. I pulled up around 7:20 and the lot was almost full so I knew that getting a decent spot for pics would be tough. The will call line was extremely long due to the fact that all the 21 and under folks had to buy $5 dollar drink tickets. I had also checked the Galaxy website and it mentioned Ladytron was on the bill. I was skeptical because it wasn't listed anywhere else. When I picked up my ticket I glanced at the set times and saw no Ladytron. So I dejectedly walked in hoping for a super rocking set from the Sounds. The pit was already 3/4 full so I opted for a dinner seat. Japanese Motors came on after I polished off my chicken strips and played a punk/rockabily set. The crowd was appreciative because it gave them an excuse to start a pit. Ima Robot was on afterwards and rambled thru their set. I have seen them before open for Hot Hot Heat and She Wants Revenge but wasn't that impressed. They do have their moments with "Dynomite" and "Black Jetta". During the intermission, Depeche Mode "Strangelove" was blasting thru the speakers and I was impressed with the DJ and low and behold its Daniel from Ladytron on the decks. Mira and Reuben also were helping out. Daniel also spun The Knife which I will see this Saturday. They all vacated and The Sounds came and rocked the stage. Apparently Jack's Surfboards put out some fat cash to get them to play this show prior to their opening slot for the Angels & Airwaves tour as evidenced by all the banners in the venue. Maja was a dynamo easily capturing the crowd and running everywhere on stage. She even stage dived into the crowd during the finale. They are coming back on Dec 2nd at the Wiltern so get your tickets now. After the show ended the crowd emptied out and Ladytron came back out to a sparse crowd. Luckily... Reuben was really cool and I took some pictures for some other fans. Reuben mentioned that Ladytron would be back in December. I ended up getting a picture with Daniel, Mira, and Reuben for which I can't thank them enough. Overall a great show and as Mira said to me before they jetted off... Cheers!!!!

No comments: