Saturday, November 21, 2009

The Mountain Goats and Final Fantasy at the Henry Fonda Theater

mg_0523

The Mountain Goats stopped by the Henry Fonda Theater in support of their latest album The Life of the World To Come. I was primarily interested in checking in with Final Fantasy who are gearing up for the release their upcoming album Heartland.

Final Fantasy
ff_0193
ff_0255
ff_0363
ff_0143
ff_0185
It has been awhile since I last caught a show by Final Fantasy. I quickly remembered how impressive they were when I saw Final Fantasy open for Bloc Party in March of 2007. Owen Pallett (Violin/Keyboards/Vocals) is astonishing to watch as he effortlessly samples and loops his violin for vividly colorful soundscapes. I would love to see him collaborate with Andrew Bird and Jon Brion as the Monsters of Loop.

"Flare Gun" was one of the new tunes Owen unveiled off Heartland. "Midnight Directives" was another jaw dropping new tune. A person from the audience requested "Ultimatum" to which Owen happily obliged and went back to the piano to display his masterful skills on yet another instrument. Final Fantasy's set came to a close with a griping version of "The Dream of Win and Regine". Owen definitely had his supporters in the audience as a few people departed at the conclusion of his set.

The Mountain Goats
mg_0451
mg_0785
mg_0673
mg_0381
mg_0695

I wasn't too familiar with The Mountain Goats but understand they have their own devout following. Ironically, John Darnielle (Vocals/Guitars) turned to specific bible passages for inspiration for the new album. I stayed for a couple of songs cause I was exhausted from attending my seven show in a row. I heard Owen came back out to assist on a few songs which makes me wish I had the energy to stay.

No comments: